clogged disposable & cartridge troubleshooting
We hate clogged disposables and cartridges as much as the next guy, trust us! While we always strive to partner with brands and manufacturers who are creating some of the industries best formulas, sometimes a faulty or defective product can make its way through the cracks. If you find yourself with a pen that just wont hit, here's why it may have happened, and how to fix it!
This is mostly because pure hemp extract is made up of thick oil, making the liquid inside so thick and viscous that it can jam up or crystallize, clogging the vape. Vape oil formulators can try thinning out the oil by mixing in additives such as MCT oil, propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin, or terpenes. These will help thin the oil to make it more free-flowing, but depending on the temperature, humidity, and other factors, it can still clog.
Typically, thicker oil means that it’s higher in potency. The trade-off with thicker oil is that it can sometimes be more prone to clogging. Adding terpenes can help to thin out the oil and add flavor, but too much will give a harsh vapor that is not pleasant on the throat and lungs.
If your disposable vape or cartridge is still clogged, you can try the following techniques to help fix the issue:
- Clean out any residue that may be causing a blockage in the mouthpiece or in the charging port using a q tip.
- Make sure there are no holes or cracks in the disposable, as this could also cause a clog.
- If possible, adjust the airflows to see if that helps open up a clogged disposable or cartridge.
- Start by taking the cap off of your disposable vape, and gently inserting a small tool like a paper clip through the mouthpiece’s center hole.
- Cautiously push the tool into the vape until you reach the bottom, about one inch deep.
- Rotate the tool and pull it up to dislodge the oil in the cart post.
- Repeat the last two steps two to three times.
- After you’ve cleaned out your disposable, blow through the charging port until there is adequate airflow through the vape.
If you’ve tried all of these steps and are still having difficulties with your disposable vape, a small amount of heat may help break down the viscosity of the oil. Be sure to start off slow, as overheating the device may cause further damage.
- Place the vape in a warm part of your home, like next to a radiator.
- Hold the cartridge in your hands for about 5 minutes
- Use a blowdryer about a foot away from your disposable for a short period of time to heat the vape. Start off slowly by waving the blow dryer back and forth across the pen, then apply heat more directly as needed. If you really want to speed this method up, place the disposable in a cup, then direct the heat into the cup.
- If you don’t have a blow dryer, try putting your vape in an airtight plastic bag and then submerging the bag in warm water. Be careful to not let water enter the bag and get on your vape pen.
Ultimately, the best way to avoid a clogged disposable is to choose a vape from a retailer that makes high-quality products. Look for disposable or cartridges that have adjustable airflow and ceramic core technology, as well as reputable manufacturers who provide full transparency as to what ingredients are going into the product. Doing your research before you buy can save you a lot of hassle in the long run!
- Keep the battery charged (if your battery is not disposable).
- Store the disposable upright whenever possible (and never store upside down).
- Avoid keeping your disposable in your pockets.
- Avoid exposure to direct sunlight (especially for extended periods of time) .
- Avoid keeping your vape in your car to avoid temperature fluctuations.
- Keep your vape in a warm area, cold helps to thicken and crystallize the vape liquid.
- Use your vape often! Clogs can often come as a result of inactivity, so even just taking a quick hit a few times a week will help keep the good times flowing (literally).
By following the steps above and remembering these best practices, you should be able to keep your disposable or cartridge in working order! Now you can enjoy the amazing flavors of your favorite disposable vape without any clogs getting in your way.